Apples

Available at: Carter Mountain Orchard and Chiles Peach Orchard

Chiles Peach Orchard apples

About Virginia Apples

We grow many popular varieties including Ginger Gold, Gala, Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Jonagold, Jonathan, Rome, Stayman, Winesap, York, Granny Smith, Fuji and Pink Lady. Our apple harvest typically begins in late July and extends through mid-November.

  • An average of 8-10 million bushels of apples are produced each year in Virginia.
  • Virginia apples are destined for markets in 15 states and more than 20 countries.
  • 75% of apples grown in Virginia are sold for processing and made into popular products such as applesauce, apple juice, apple butter, slices, and cider.
  • Local apple varieties require 90 to 175 growing days from spring bloom to fall harvest.
  • Depending on the type of rootstock, 100 to 500 apple trees are planted to the acre.

Available Apple Varieties

Generally, the tart taste of an apple is best for cooking, while sweeter apples are preferred for snacking and for salads.


{{ selectedOrchard }} {{ selectedOrchardPhone }}
{{ selectedOrchardMessage }}
Name
Flavor Profile Good For
{{ fruit.title }} {{ fruit.description }}N/A
{{ use }}
N/A
.
Today
Est. Availability
Pick Your Own
Pre-Picked
It looks like no fruit match that filter.
Try selecting a different orchard or fruit type.

Family picking apples in Charlottesville

Tips for Storing Apples

  • Handle carefully. Bruised apples do not store well.
  • Bigger is not always better. Smaller apples will keep longer.
  • Wash right before use. No before.
  • Refrigerate to prevent quick ripening. Apples ripen 8 to 10 time faster at room temperature. Cold apples = crisp apples.
  • Dip peeled apples in lemon juice or salt water to prevent the flesh from turning brown.
  • Pick the right storage companions. Apples produce ethylene gas which speeds up the ripening process for sensitive fruits and vegetables. For example, oranges, cucumbers, and blueberries are good storage companions; peaches, pears, and bananas are not.
  • To prevent absorbing other food flavors, store in a ventilated plastic bag or crisper drawer set to low humidity.

Gala apples on tree at Chiles Family Orchards farm

Apple Nutrition Facts

Apple on a tree at a Virginia orchard

Apples are one of the most versatile foods around. They are delicious as main meals, desserts, side dishes, or just for eating. Next time you reach for that bag of potato chips, grab an apple instead!

Not only are apples low in calories and high in fiber, but nutritionists and scientists are finding that apples can prevent health problems or at least reduce health risks our bodies face every day. It’s their preventative and curative properties that are capturing the spotlight in numerous studies around the world.

An apple a day…

  • No cholesterol, fat, or sodium.
  • Lower cholesterol. Antioxidant phytonutrients reduce LDL (“bad”) cholesterol, helping prevent cardiovascular disease. Phytonutrients in apples lower the risk of thrombotic stroke and slow the growth of colon and liver cancer in cells.
  • Improved lung function. Flavonoids found in apples may reduce lung cancer risk.
  • Strong bones. Apples contain the essential trace element, boron, which has been shown to strengthen bones—a good defense against osteoporosis.
  • High in fiber. With about 5 grams of fiber, an apple has as much fiber as a serving of bran cereal (about one-fifth of the recommended daily intake of fiber)! About 80% of the fiber in apples is soluble fiber which reduces cholesterol. The remaining 20% is insoluble fiber which may help prevent cancers.
  • Vitamin- and nutrient-rich. Apples are their own health food store, containing vitamins A, B1, B2, C, and niacin. They are high in complex carbohydrates and also contain potassium, calcium, iron, and carotenoids such as thiamin, magnesium and phosphorus.
  • Low calories. With the average apple having only 80 calories, apples are the perfect portable snack pre-packaged in nature’s own wrapper! Great tasting, energy-boosting, and fat-free, apples also suppress hunger longer than junk foods’ empty calories.

Apple bins at Carter Mountain Orchard


Quick Conversion Tips

To make a 9 inch apple pie, use 6-8 medium apples!

“Peck” bag
= 1/4 bushel
= ~12 lbs
= 16-20 apples

3 medium apples
= 1 pound of apples
= 3 cups of diced apples
= 2.75 cups of sliced apples

1 pound apples
= 4 small apples
= 3 medium apples
= 2 large apples
= 1.5 cups applesauce

Apple picking in Charlottesville

  • wash strawberries

    Produce Safety Tips

    Explore a collection of resources on food safety handling and preservation practices put together by the Virginia Cooperative Extension.

  • Apple pickers at Virginia orchard

    Visitor Guidelines

    We’re glad you are visiting our Orchards! Here are some tips to help you make the most of your visit!