We look forward to seeing you on the mountain! Here are our policies, as well as some insider tips, to help you make the most of your time with us.
LAST REVISED: April 1, 2021
COVID-19 Safety Precautions
We are observing all current guidelines set forth by the Commonwealth of Virginia and Albemarle County.
Stay home if you’re sick. If you are not feeling well, have a fever, are sneezing or coughing, or have any health issues, please stay home until your symptoms have passed.
Wear protective masks. State and local mandates require that guests and customers wear masks or face coverings when coming inside our markets, restrooms, or other indoor spaces. We further request that you wear masks whenever you are in a line, and when you cannot maintain at least 6 feet of distance from other groups of people, no matter where you are. We will be wearing ours for your protection.
Keep your distance. Please maintain at least 6 feet of social distance between yourself and other parties while you are here.
NO FRUIT IS CURRENTLY IN SEASON
We reserve the right to close the fields for picking at any time, due to weather conditions, lack of ripe fruit, non-compliance of our policies, or other unforeseen reasons.
For the afternoon timeslot, please arrive no later than 4pm (one hour before our closing time) for picking.
Limit the size of picking parties to small groups from the same household (including children). Larger parties may be split into smaller groups for picking.
Check-in at our picking station prior to entering the fields.
Pre-pay for PYO fruit : To minimize contact and maximize safety, we will not be weighing fruit this year.
- Only containers provided by the Orchard will be permitted for picking.
- No personal bags, backpacks, purses, diaper bads, etc. are permitted in the fields.
- Do not mix fruits—separate containers must be purchased for each fruit (when applicable).
No Dogs or other pets are permitted on site
Maintain a social distance of at least 6 feet from anyone other than your own party and wear your face covering when you cannot.
Do not eat fruit in the fields. You should wash all fruit at home prior to consuming it.
Do not throw any fruit on the ground. Any fruit you touch must go into your picking container. (Parents, watch your children!)
Only pick in the areas you are instructed to enter. Not all fruit is ripe at the same time.
Please exit the fields once you fill your containers so we can allow others to enter.
Respect your surroundings
Follow all instructions on our signage and from our staff members.
Only pick in the areas you are instructed to enter. Keep in mind that Carter Mountain Orchard is a working farm—not all areas are open to the public and not all fruit ripens at the same time.
Be kind to our trees. Do not climb the trees or shake the branches.
We do not provide stick pickers. If you choose to bring your own, it must be an “official” fruit picker, and not a homemade version, as these are not effective and cause fruit to fall to the ground. No butterfly nets, pool nets, soda bottle on a stick, etc.
Dress properly. Be prepared for a walk of anywhere from 5-15 minutes each way to the orchard, up and down hills. Depending on the weather, it may be dusty, muddy, slick, etc., and the ground is hilly and uneven. Sturdy, close-toed shoes are recommended. Although we do our best to keep poison ivy at bay, long pants are preferable. Don’t forget your sunscreen!
Please put litter in its proper place. Trash cans are provided in and around the Country Store.
Watch your children. Parents are responsible for their children’s actions at all times.
No Ifs, Ands, or Buts
- No dogs or other pets. Service dogs are permitted.
- No outside food or drink.
- No outside alcohol is permitted by ABC law. Bold Rock Hard Cider is available for purchase.
- No smoking or vaping anywhere on our property, including parking lots, orchards, or any of our grounds.
- No grilling, fireworks, incense, or open flames.
- No hiking, running, biking, etc. on our road.
- No trespassing. All of our orchards are private property; grounds, buildings, and roads are open to the public only during our posted hours.
- No drugs.
- No stealing. We will prosecute any and all thefts.
- No weapons. The only exception is for law enforcement officers.
Interested in taking photos? Please note our photography guidelines.